Have You Experienced Discrimination at Work?
Learn More About Our Los Angeles Discrimination Attorneys
California employees experience workplace discrimination on a regular basis. Although state and federal laws are designed to protect workers from discrimination, many people choose to ignore these laws and knowingly engage in discriminatory behavior. Whether you work for a small business or a large corporation, you deserve to be treated fairly at work. Most employers work hard to protect their bottom line and may attempt to discredit your discrimination claim. Our Los Angeles discrimination attorneys understand this, and will ensure that your voice is heard throughout the legal process.
At Yadegar Minoofar & Soleymani LLP, our Los Angeles work discrimination lawyers have successfully litigated workplace discrimination claims. We can help you determine if a settlement or trial is the best option for your circumstances. Our Los Angeles discrimination lawyer will also be familiar with the unique process that accompanies filing an employment discrimination lawsuit in California.
For example, you must begin by filing your discrimination claim with the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH). Most California employees are required to complete the DFEH process before they can file a discrimination lawsuit. Our Los Angeles discrimination attorney can help you determine whether you should wait for the complete DFEH investigation before requesting a right to sue notice. If you are a victim of workplace discrimination, then having qualified legal representation will help you balance the demands of a discrimination lawsuit.
What Are Some Examples of Discrimination in the Workplace?
There are several different forms of workplace discrimination. The most common examples of discrimination in the workplace include:
- Wrongful termination. There are federal and state laws designed to protect Los Angeles employees from being wrongfully terminated. State and federal laws state that you cannot be fired because of your age, disability, national origin, race, religion or sex. If you can produce evidence suggesting that you were wrongfully terminated, then a Los Angeles work discrimination lawyer will help you file a claim in California court.
- Systemic discrimination. A company may have certain policies or procedures that negatively affect members of a protected class. An example of systemic discrimination includes the placement of racial barriers around hiring and recruitment practices. Our Los Angeles race discrimination lawyers will help investigate your claim and ensure that the best evidence is presented in court.
- Wage discrimination. Many minority groups, particularly women and black men, are often paid less than their white male counterparts. The Equal Pay Act of 1963 prohibits pay discrimination based on gender. However, many women still receive unequal pay. Our Los Angeles gender discrimination lawyers will fight to hold your employer responsible for suppressing your wages.
- National origin discrimination. Many companies have a fear of hiring undocumented workers for a variety of logistical reasons. However, an employer may take it a step too far and reject your employment because you look foreign. The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 bars any employer with three or more employees from discriminating against American citizens due to their national origin. Our lawyers for job discrimination in Los Angeles will help you determine if your national origin contributed to your discrimination.
How Do You Prove Discrimination in the Workplace?
Although identifying workplace discrimination is tough, it is even more difficult to find evidence proving that discrimination took place. At our Los Angeles discrimination law firm, we understand that proving workplace discrimination in California is no easy task. To convince a jury, you may need to present evidence that:
- Shows you to be a competent and qualified employee. An employer can always create an excuse that justifies his or her discriminatory behavior. However, you can potentially refute that excuse if you provide documentation proving you were a strong employee. This documentation can include emails where an employer was praising your work or copies of performance reviews that were conducted by senior management.
- Highlights a pattern of unequal workplace treatment. To highlight this pattern, you should study the coworkers that exist outside of your protected class. If you can supply evidence that proves they were given preferential treatment or better advancement opportunities, then you may have a strong case. Our Los Angeles labor discrimination lawyers will help you evaluate the evidence and determine if your claim would hold up in court.
- Reveals a lack of objectivity by your employer. If your employer is being overly subjective when criticizing your work, then you should show that he or she is more objective when appraising the work of others. Our Los Angeles job discrimination attorneys will help you find evidence that shows this lack of objectivity.
Workplace Discrimination? Contact Our Los Angeles Discrimination Attorneys Today
When your workplace rights are violated, you need legal representation that takes your concerns seriously. Our Los Angeles discrimination attorneys understand that a positive settlement or verdict could help improve the quality of your life. We also believe that holding your employer accountable for discrimination will improve the workplace for your coworkers as well.
If you are the victim of discrimination in the workplace, then you should contact Yadegar Minoofar & Soleymani LLP today at (310) 526-8152 to schedule a consultation. You can also contact us online to tell us about your situation. Our Los Angeles discrimination at work lawyers look forward to evaluating your employment discrimination claims.