In California, wage discrimination is prohibited by law. The California Equal Pay Act (CEPA) requires employers to pay all employees equal wages for substantially similar work, regardless of gender or any other protected characteristic. The law also prohibits retaliation against employees who assert their rights under the CEPA.
If you believe that you have been a victim of wage discrimination in California, it is important to consult with an experienced Los Angeles discrimination lawyer who can help you understand your rights and options. Call Yadegar, Minoofar & Soleymani today at (310) 499-0140 to arrange a free case evaluation.
Common Types of Wage Discrimination
There are several types of wage discrimination that are prohibited by California law, including:
- Gender-based wage discrimination: This occurs when an employer pays an employee of one gender less than an employee of the opposite gender for performing substantially similar work.
- Racial or ethnic-based wage discrimination: This occurs when an employer pays an employee of one race or ethnicity less than an employee of another race or ethnicity for performing substantially similar work.
- Discrimination based on other protected characteristics: This can include age, disability, sexual orientation, or other protected characteristics under California law.
What Are My Options If I Believe That I Have Been The Victim Of Wage Discrimination In California?
If you believe that you have been the victim of wage discrimination in California, you have several options available to you:
- File a complaint with your employer: You can bring the issue to the attention of your employer or supervisor and try to resolve the matter internally. You can also file a complaint with your employer’s human resources department.
- File a complaint with the California Division of Labor Standards Enforcement (DLSE): You can file a complaint with the DLSE, which is responsible for enforcing California’s labor laws. The DLSE will investigate your claim and may file a lawsuit against your employer on your behalf.
- File a complaint with the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC): You can file a complaint with the EEOC, which is responsible for enforcing federal anti-discrimination laws. The EEOC will investigate your claim and may file a lawsuit against your employer on your behalf.
- File a lawsuit: You can file a lawsuit against your employer in state or federal court. You may be entitled to damages, including back pay, future lost wages, and compensation for emotional distress.
How A Los Angeles Wage Discrimination Lawyer From Our Law Firm Can Help
If you believe that you have been a victim of wage discrimination in California, it is important to speak with an experienced employment law attorney who can help you understand your rights and options. An experienced employment law attorney from our law firm can help you with your California wage discrimination case in several ways:
- Evaluating your case: Our lawyers can evaluate your case to determine whether you have a viable claim for wage discrimination. We can analyze the evidence you have gathered and determine whether your employer has violated California’s Equal Pay Act.
- Identifying damages: We can help you identify the damages you may be entitled to receive as a result of the wage discrimination, including back pay, future lost wages, and emotional distress damages.
- Preparing a complaint: If you decide to pursue legal action, our lawyers can help you prepare a complaint that outlines the facts of your case and the legal basis for your claim. The complaint will be filed with the appropriate court or administrative agency.
- Negotiating a settlement: We can negotiate a settlement with your employer or their legal representatives. We can use their experience and knowledge to negotiate a fair settlement that compensates you for your damages.
- Representing you in court: If your case goes to trial, our lawyers can represent you in court. We can argue your case before a judge or jury and present evidence that supports your claim for wage discrimination.
- Providing guidance and support: Our law firm can provide you with guidance and support throughout the legal process. We can answer your questions, provide advice, and help you make informed decisions about your case.
Our Los Angeles Wage Discrimination Lawyers Are Ready to Represent You
An experienced Los Angeles wage discrimination lawyer from our law firm can help you navigate the complex legal process of a California wage discrimination case, and work to ensure that your rights are protected. It is also important to note that there are strict deadlines for filing complaints with the DLSE or the EEOC, as well as for filing lawsuits.
Our Los Angeles wage discrimination lawyers can help you understand your options and ensure that you comply with all applicable deadlines. Call Yadegar, Minoofar & Soleymani today at (310) 499-0140 or visit our contact page to arrange a free and confidential case evaluation.